A rapid and easy recipe for anyone looking for a healthy sweet treat. Carrots are a great base for baked foods and keep them moist.
Makes 24 squares; Preparation time: 15 minutes; Cooking time: 40-50 minutes.
[Please note we are an affiliate marketing partner and will make a sales commission if you purchase any items through our affiliate links. Please read our affiliate disclosure]
- 10oz/275g self-raising wholemeal flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 2oz/50g porridge oats
- 2oz/50g light brown soft sugar
- 2 small bananas, peeled and mashed
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 8oz carrots, peeled and finely grated
- 3 fl.oz/75ml vegetable oil, sunflower and oil work really well.
- 1-2 drops vanilla essence
- Sift the flour, baking powder and spice in a large bowl.
- Tip in any bran held in the sieve back into the bowl.
- Stir in the oats and sugar.
- Add the remaining ingredients and beat well with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 11 x 9 inch (28 x 23 cm) baking tin,
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180C (350F/Gas Mark 4) for 40 to 50 minutes. A skewer inserted into the middle of the bake should come out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes.
- Turn out onto a wire baking rack to cool completely.
- Cut into squares.