Crushed new potatoes are simply a way of offering a tasty side as a base for pieces of meat and fish. I find growing your own new potatoes too simply adds to the pleasure of this simple dish. Ideally, flavoured with butter and chopped onions, they add a richness to dishes. Enjoy the succulent flavour of nutty potatoes like Pink Fir Apple which we adore. Works best with slightly floury potato rather than full-on waxy types. You could also try herbed new potatoes too as an alternative side.
- 1kg peeled or scrubbed new potatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- chopped sprigs of dill (optional)
- handful pitted black olives , chopped
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for about 15 mins until completely cooked through. Peeling the potatoes isn’t essential, but I think it gives a smoother finish to the dish.
- Drain, tip into a bowl, and crush with the olive oil until broken but not mashed. Stir through the spring onions, dill and the olives, then season to taste and serve.