Saag aloo is a very healthy Indian dish which is based on spinach and potato. It must be one of the most common dishes in every Indian restaurant.
The preparation time is 10 minutes and takes 20 minutes to cook. It serves 4 as a main dish but could be a substantial starter for 6. If you wanted to the spinach could be partially replaced with watercress to make a watercress saag aloo. It would be just as healthy.
- 2 tbsp vegetable or rapeseed oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 inch of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 green chillies, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 750g potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 cm cubes
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 400g spinach leaves roughly chopped
- Cook the onion, garlic, ginger and chillies and cook for 2-3 minutes in oil in a large non-stick frying pan.
- Stir in the turmeric and cook for a further few minutes.
- Add the potatoes, chilli powder and a little water, stir and cover.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally. Add more water if required.
- Meantime cook the spinach in a large pan until wilted. Add to the potato mixture, season with black pepper and serve.