Tagliatelle (Pasta) with Asparagus and Peas
12 ounces tagliatelle OR fettuccine OR pappardelle (I wont say any pasta but these are exceptional with creamy sauces). In gram terms it should be 75g per person.
3 ounces pancetta or bacon, chopped
1 1/4 pounds (about 1 large bunch) of asparagus, trimmed, cut on diagonal into 1-inch pieces
2 cups shelled fresh green peas, blanched 1 minute in boiling water, drained, or frozen peas (do not thaw)
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced, white and pale green parts separated from dark green parts
2 garlic cloves, pressed or grated
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese plus additional for serving
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
2-3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel to serve as a zest
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley, divided
- 1/3 cup fresh tarragon, chopped (optional)
- 1/3 cup fresh chives, chopped (optional)
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves (optional)
1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh basil, divided
- Freshly grated Parmesan
(1) Cook pasta in pot of boiling salted water until just tender (al dente) but still firm to bite.
(2) Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking liquid. Return pasta to pot.
(3) Fry the pancetta in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer pancetta to paper towels to drain.
(4) Pour off all but 1 teaspoon of the drippings from the pan/skillet. Add asparagus to the drippings in the pan/skillet; sauté 3 minutes.
(5) Add peas, white and pale green parts of green onions, and garlic; sauté until vegetables are just tender, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
(6) Add vegetable mixture, 1/4 cup pasta cooking liquid, dark green parts of green onions, 1/2 cup Parmesan, cream, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon peel, half of parsley, and half of basil to pasta. Toss, adding more cooking liquid by tablespoonfuls if needed.
(7) Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Transfer to large bowl.
(8) Sprinkle pancetta, remaining parsley, and basil over.
(9) Serve, passing additional Parmesan cheese.
Tagliatelle (Pasta) with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
12 ounces tagliatelle OR fettuccine OR pappardelle as above. In gram terms it should be 75g per person.
- 2 tablespoons butter chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 8 ounces cremini or porcini mushrooms sliced
- ½ cup dry or medium –white wine
- ½ cup whipping cream or half and half
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Freshly grated parmesan or Gran Padano cheese for serving
(1) Exactly the same as for the recipe above.