Penne with shrimp, clams, and tomato Sauce, is a delightful dish that combines the flavours of the sea with the richness of a tomato-based sauce. This recipe will serve four people easily and is perfect for a special dinner or gathering following Thanksgiving or indeed any other type of celebration. Enjoy the harmony of perfectly cooked pasta, succulent shrimp, and tender clams, all brought together by a flavorful tomato sauce. The addition of white wine adds a touch of sophistication to this comforting and satisfying dish.
Littleneck clams might not be available everywhere and so other types of mollusc can be used.
[Please note we are an affiliate marketing partner and will make a sales commission if you purchase any items through our affiliate links. Please read our affiliate disclosure]
- 1 pound (450g) penne pasta
- 1 pound (450g) large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pound (450g) littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- 1 can (28 ounces/800g) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Grated Parmesan cheese for serving
1. Prepare the Ingredients:
- Gather all the ingredients and ensure the shrimp and clams are cleaned thoroughly.
- Peel and devein the shrimp if not already done.
2. Cook the Penne Pasta:
- Boil a large pot of salted water for the penne pasta.
- Cook the penne according to the package instructions until al dente.
- Drain the pasta and set it aside.
3. Sauté Garlic and Red Pepper Flakes:
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add minced garlic and red pepper flakes to the skillet.
- Sauté for 1-2 minutes until the garlic is aromatic.
4. Cook the Shrimp:
- Add the shrimp to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until they turn pink and opaque.
- Remove the cooked shrimp from the skillet and set them aside.
5. Deglaze with White Wine:
- Pour the white wine into the skillet to deglaze, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom.
- Allow the wine to simmer for a couple of minutes to reduce slightly.
6. Prepare the Tomato Sauce:
- Add the crushed tomatoes to the skillet, season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and let it cook for about 10-15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
7. Cook the Clams:
- Add the cleaned clams to the tomato sauce.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and cook for about 5-7 minutes or until the clams open.
- Discard any clams that do not open.
8. Combine Shrimp and Sauce:
- Once the clams are cooked, return the cooked shrimp to the skillet.
- Let the mixture simmer together for another 2-3 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
9. Toss Pasta with Seafood and Sauce:
- Add the drained penne pasta to the skillet with the seafood and sauce.
- Toss the pasta to coat it evenly with the sauce and seafood.
10. Garnish and Serve:
- Sprinkle chopped fresh parsley over the top of the dish.
- Toss once more to incorporate the parsley.
- Serve the penne with shrimp, clams, and tomato sauce hot, with a generous sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese on top.
- Choose fresh seafood for the best flavor.
- Adjust the level of red pepper flakes based on your spice preference.
- Ensure the clams are closed before cooking and discard any that do not open after cooking.
- Freshly grated Parmesan enhances the overall taste; consider using it.
- Serve with a side of crusty bread to mop up the delicious sauce.