Patchouli is an essential oil extracted from the plant Pogostem cablin. It is mostly grown in India where it is mentally stimulating in relatively low doses but soporific and sedating when levels become higher.
It is a dark orange to amber viscous liquid with a sweet, earthy and herbaceous aroma. The oil is extracted from the dried leaves by steam distillation.
Compounds And Componentry
The oil contains patchoulol, pogostol, bulnesol, bulnese, patchoulene.
- Add to the bath by placing 5 to 8 drops of the oil in a carrier oil like almond oil.
- Massage: a fine oil where 2 or 3 drops of patchouli oil is added to 3 tablespoons of a carrier oil like almond oil.
- For vaporization: add 2 to 4 drops of patchouli oil in 2 tablespoons of water to an oil burner. Please follow the manufacturer’s instructions if the water levels are different.
Please note this article contains links to our affiliate marketing partners. Please read our affiliate disclosure.
- Keep away from the eyes.
- Keep away from children.
- Not to be ingested.
- Not to be used if pregnant although highly dilute solutions may be employed in massage oils.
- Do not use the undiluted oil directly on the skin. Must be diluted in a suitable base or carrier oil.
Legal Disclaimer Concerning Products On This Web-Site
The products and the information provided about specific products on or through this site have not been evaluated by the United States Food and Drug Administration or by any other national regulatory body and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. The information provided on this site is for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for advice from your physician/doctor or other health care professional or any information contained on or in any product label or packaging. You should not use the information on this site for diagnosis or treatment of any health problems or for prescription of any medication or other treatment. You should consult with a healthcare professional before starting any diet, exercise or supplementation program, before taking any medication or if you suspect you might have a health problem.