A potato salad is very simple to prepare. It is best dressed while the potatoes are still warm so that the flavours are absorbed into the flesh. Please use the best olive oil you have because it’s ruined by any oil of poor quality in my view.
In Italian restaurants this will be an Insalata di Patate and is the ideal summer side for a light meal. You can have it with other vegetables and there is a classic with sardines that’s worth trying because of the salty elevation. ideal with other salads especially a good crisp lettuce. It’s a great way too to use your own produce – one of those pleasures in life when the potatoes are your own.
Serves 4; Preparation time: 15 minutes; Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1kg or 2.2lb waxy potatoes such as Jersey Royals and Charlotte.
- 100ml/6½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- lemon – just the juice
- 1 clove of garlic – try to chop as finely as possible
- 2 tablespoons of herbs – chop finely, include basil, oregano and thyme. Rosemary is too pungent but a very small amount finely chopped doesn’t hurt.
- freshly ground black pepper and a tiny amount of salt just to taste
- chopped chives and parsley -a teaspoon of each for garnishing.
Garnish with small pieces of chives, dill and parsley but only for decoration. A more sophisticated potato salad might incorporate salmon as well as anchovy or sardines.
- Wash the potatoes but no peeling! Bring a pan of water to the boil and cook or steam until tender. It takes about 15 minutes in total and check the texture with a fork.
- Slice or even dice the potatoes or if small enough cut in half. It’s a matter of taste and choice.
- Whilst these potatoes are cooking, prepare the dressing by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Pour this dressing over the potatoes in a bowl (it could be the same one as the dressing), whilst they are still warm.
- Serve at once at room temperature or chill and serve.