French-fried onions are ideal as a crunchy alternative to simply fried or baked onions. These make great garnishes or part of a topping for side dishes like a broccoli casserole.
- 5 onions, sliced into rings if possible
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil – maize, rapeseed
- flour as required for coating the onion slices
- black pepper and salt to taste
- Soak the onions in the milk for 10 minutes
- Heat up the oil in a frying pan, skillet or even a deep fat fryer.
- Take a portion of the onions and coat in flour. Move them around with a fork.
- Fry these in batches and stir until the whole batch is browned
- Place on a paper towel to dry.
- Season to taste
- Store in an air-tight container. These french-fried onions should keep for a couple of weeks in the fridge.