One of the great sides for a Thanksgiving dinner is a casserole and there is an excellent side – the broccoli casserole. This particular one contains cheddar cheese with a Ritz cracker topping. French fried onions can be purchased but it is also possible to make them successfully. If you have broccoli from the garden then I would always recommend homegrown where possible. The same goes for the onions. An alternative side dish is to prepare a broccoli gratin.
Broccoli Casserole ingredients:
- Fresh or frozen broccoli florets (thawed) 16 ounces
- 1 pack (6 ounces) french-fried onions, divided. These can also be prepared beforehand.
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted. The classic product is to use Campbells soup for this.
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Other hard cheeses can be used like Caerphilly and Double Gloucester.
- 1 cup of Ritz crackers, broken up into crumbs and no large pieces (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. In a large saucepan, combine the sour cream, soup, 1 cup of cheddar cheese and 1-1/4 cups onions.
- Heat the whole mixture on a medium heat, stirring until fully mixed and blended in. This should be about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli. Transfer to a greased reasonably large (2-qt.) open baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered for 25-30 minutes. It should start to bubble.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and onions, then add the Ritz cracker base on top to obtain a crunchy topping. Bake until the cheese is melted. It should take 10-15 minutes.