The basic tuile recipe is straightforward but the savoury tuiles need some care. Here we have an onion tuile which makes a good accompaniment for all sorts of dishes. Try it with roast meats like pork for example.
- 3 medium white/yellow onions – chopped very finely.
- 60ml/¼ cup cooking oil – sunflower oil
- 10g/2 tsp all-purpose flour
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, add the oil and the chopped onions and mix together thoroughly.
- Add the flour and season with pepper.
- Mix this thoroughly together with a whisk.
- Heat a frying pan or skillet to a high heat.
- Taking a spoonful of mixture, add this to the hot pan. Beware as it might spit.
- Heat to the point where the tuile is almost dry. Remove from the pan.
- Dry on kitchen towel. It might be possible to shape the tuile if it is still malleable into a curve.