Cajun seasoning makes for a great spice mix for a whole range of meat and vegetarian dishes. Talk about flavour, the Louisiana Acadian folks understand how to pack so much promise into this product. It offers spice and zest, saltiness and savoury umami notes which are perfectly blended together to make a powderkeg of deliciousness. Each ingredient lends something unique and it is wonderfully versatile. First off, it makes an excellent rub as a punch of hot pepper or as a sprinkle in mayonnaise and sauces. For vegans, tofu immediately loves this rub.
Paprika is a key ingredient here. Smoked paprika lends something extra special -it could easily be ground pimento. The heat is moderate but it can be hooter depending on the proportion of paprika and also how much white pepper is used.
- 2½ to 3 tablespoons/14-18g sweet paprika or smoked paprika.
- ½ – 1 tablespoon/72g fine Maldon or kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder (not chopped garlic)
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground white pepper – you can of course replace either one of these peppers with an extra tablespoon of the other if you know what I mean.
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- ½ tablespoon celery salt
- 1 – 1½ tablespoons dried oregano (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cayenne
- ½ tablespoon dried thyme (optional)
- Pour the ingredients into a food blender and blitz to form a rough powder.
- Use immediately, or store in a sealed container for up to 1 year.