Preparing Shepherd’s Pie In Advance
You can make the mashed potato topping and the filling up to 2 days in advance. We suggest making it fresh on the day.
Serves 4 (large helpings) or 5 (yes- smaller helpings)
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
 Meat casserole
- 1.5 tablespoon olive oil
- 750g lean lamb mince
- 1 beef or lamb stock cube
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- 300g carrots, peeled and chopped or sliced thinly
- 1 or 2 white onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves (optional)
- 150ml Heinz tomato ketchup and/or 50ml Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
 Potato Topping:
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 700-800g Maris Piper or any other starchy potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 100ml milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard or 1/2 teaspoon of English mustard
- 100g grated cheddar cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC, fan 180ºC, gas mark 6.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan/sauté pan and brown the mince.
- Add between 300ml and 400ml water, then crumble in the stock cube, add any herbs like thyme and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chopped carrots and onion, and continue cooking for a further 15 minutes to soften the onion in particular, or until the mince is tender.
- Stir in the tomato ketchup and Worcestershire sauce, then simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in boiling water until soft (10-15 minutes). Drain and mash with the milk, mustard and grated cheese, reserving a third of the cheese. Season to taste.
- Add the cornflour to a little water and mix into the mince to thicken slightly, then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Spoon the mince and vegetables into an ovenproof dish. Top with the mashed and sliced potatoes.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the potato is golden.
- Serve with leafy greens and fresh broad beans and peas.
If you need to keep leftovers, just place any remaining pie in a plastic dish and seal firmly.