A simple recipe for courgette and mint chutney. One way to turn a humble vegetable into something delicious. best served with roast meats like pork, lamb and even beef. Why not try it as a small side to add add spice and acid to pork fillet wrapped in Parma ham.
- 4lb. courgettes
- 2lb/8oz. medium white onions
- 2lb/8oz. brown sugar
- 2lb/8oz. tomatoes – can be skinned but need to be chopped as much as possible
- large piece of fresh root ginger (optional)
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves – chopped
- 1½ pints of malt vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon white or freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cloves of garlic – crushed and minced
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes or cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoon salt
- Finely chop all the vegetables, mint etc. and mix together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the courgette mix to a small saucepan, then the vinegar, spices and sugar.
- Bring to a boil but reduce the heat immediately and simmer for two hours.
- Pour into heated Kilner jars or jam jars and seal as soon as they begin to cool.