Vitamin B6, which is also known as pyridoxine or pyridoxal-5-phosphate is used by the body to make full use of the energy from carbohydrates and protein in food. It is also required for the formation of blood cells that carry oxygen around the body.
A number of products contain vitamin B6 alone whilst some in the list are part of a larger collection of the B vitamins. Generally, suppliers offer vitamin B6 as the hydrochloride to help with manufacture and solubility.
Functions Of Vitamin B6 In Nutrition
All are associated with energy metabolism for which there are numerous claims.
Originally, it was thought that there was just one B vitamin until biochemical research established there were a number involved in energy metabolism. Vitamin B6 is one important cofactor with a host of others including thiamine, riboflavin, nicotinamide etc.
- Helps the body release energy from food
- Vitamin B6 contributes to the regulation of hormonal activity
- Essential in helping to balance hormones especially in women.
- Suitable for Vegans as the encapsulating materials are prepared with vegetarian materials rather than gelatin.
- Manufactured in the UK to GMP standards although check labelling and manufacturing quality on site.
- Can help combat symptoms of PMS such as mood swings
- Needed for normal brain function and development
- Helps maintain healthy hair and skin
- Provides support to the eyes, liver and nervous system
- Whole grain cereals, such as brown rice
Med need around 1.4mg a day and women approximately 1.2mg. People should be able to get most of their vitamin B6 in their diet.
Solgar are a widely respected brand who offer vitamin B6 with other minerals such as magnesium. Magnesium is a cofactor with ATP which is essential for energy metabolism. Lindens go one step further and also offer zinc as well in their product otherwise pyridoxine (vitamin B6) is offered as part of a vitamin B complex so that all vitamins are available.
If you take more than 200mg a day for a long time can lead to a loss of feeling in arms and legs. People should not take more than 10mg a day unless advised by their doctor.
Products Available In The UK
N.B. This article contains links to products offered by our affiliate marketing partners. Please read our affiliate disclosure.